January 23, 2019

Quilt 135: Teal and Gold Bamboo - DONE!

I was in Florida in late 2017, and visited my favourite American quilt shop "The Quilt Place".  I always stock up big-time when I'm there, and this trip was no different.  They had gorgeous layer cakes (10" precut squares) with metallic oriental prints.  I bought 3 of them!

I finally decided to start using them.  Most of the squares seem to be red, gold and black, but there were quite a few teal/turquoise ones, too.  I pulled out 42 of those to make a simple block quilt.  It came together in a flash, of course - and here's the finished quilt:
56" x 65" - quilted on the Bernina Q-Matic (bamboo stitch pattern), bamboo batting
Here's a closeup of one of the blocks, with birds and bamboo:

The quilt stitch pattern is "Bamboo" from Urban Elementz:
I used medium-grey thread for the quilting, so the stitching more or less fades into the quilt.  I prefer that on this quilt because I didn't want anything to interfere with the prints.  In the photo below you can see some of the quilting in the lower part where the light is casting a shadow.  Very subtle.
The backing is a creamy gold peony print with soft gold metallic highlights, and the binding is done in solid teal homespun:

I just love the colours - rich and vibrant.

I'm going to pull out some of the reds from that set next and will do another, similar quilt - but on that one, may use gold thread so the stitching stands out a bit more...  ...or... well... maybe red (so it fades...?).  The backing I have for the red is a solid homespun, and so the bamboo pattern will stand out more.  Hm... I'll have to think it over a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment